FIFA World Cup 2022 promises to be a stronger Group B. Where England have drawn against the United States and Iran, and one more team has not yet been determined.
England were the Pot 1 team, leading Group B. The champions were behind in 1966, and pot 2 was from the United States. The first pot 3 was drawn as a team, with Iran moving to Group B along with the United States and England due to teammates. In this group was the presence of the team of the Asian Confederation Qatar.
Finally, Pot 4 is an undefined European playoff sport that could feature any of Wales, Ukraine, and Scotland. Wales will wait to host the match-winner between Ukraine and Scotland after the two countries’ game was postponed until summer due to hostilities in Ukraine.
The United States, England, and Iran have both played in previous World Cups. Twice in the past, the United States stunned England. A famous victory knocked England out in 1950 and saw the US to the top through a draw in 2010. The four teams selected from the group will play in a round-robin format, and each country will face the other 3. Group Standing The three groups that are formed based on the points of the stage match need 3 to win, one for the draw, and one for the loss.
The top two teams from each group advance to the knockout stage of a single game based on total points. The goal difference will be the first tiebreaker and then goal scoring if the teams are tied at points. If the teams are tied, then another set of tiebreakers is applied.
World Cup Group B table & fixtures
* = Winner of European playoff (Wales vs. Ukraine/Scotland)
Group B match schedule
|Mon, Nov. 21||England vs. Iran||8 a.m.||Khalifa Int’l Stadium|
|Mon, Nov. 21||USA vs. WAL/UKR/SCO||2 p.m.||Ahmad Bin Ali Stadium|
|Fri, Nov. 25||WAL/UKR/SCO vs. Iran||5 a.m.||Ahmad Bin Ali Stadium|
|Fri, Nov. 25||England vs. USA||2 p.m.||Al Bayt Stadium|
|Tues, Nov. 29||WAL/UKR/SCO vs. England||2 p.m.||Ahmad Bin Ali Stadium|
|Tues, Nov. 29||Iran vs. USA||2 p.m.||Al Thumama Stadium|
World Cup Group B Draw
Reaching the semi-finals after the 2018 World Cup and then reaching the Euro-Euro final in 2020 – losing only to Italy in a painful penalty – England will be determined to get better in Qatar and finally win their first major trophy since 1966.
There are some very exciting young players near Gareth Southgate. At least a handful of experienced stars like Arsenal, who currently have significant experience in the tournament.
Manchester United defender Harry Maguire hopes Gareth Southgate will be able to regain his best form before the tournament. Harry Kane, who will likely be the top all-time leading scorer in his country, will be judged.
- Current FIFA WORLD CUP RANKING: No 5 (March 2022)
- WORLD CUP APPEARANCES (last) : 15 (RUSSIA 2018)
- REGIONAL RANKING: 3RD (UEFA)
- WORLD CUP TITLES: 1
- HOW QUALIFIED: UEFA Group I winners 8W-OL-2D
- COACH: GARETH SOUTHGATE (ENGLAND) since September 2016
- OVERALL RECORD (all competition and friendlies): 2022: 2W-OL-OD(Goals: 5Scored/1 Conceded)
- Star players: HarryKane (TOTTENHAM/ENGLAND), DECLANE RICE (WEST HAM/ENGLAND), RAHEEM STERLING (MANCHESTER CITY/ENGLAND)
The USA to join the 2022 World Cup squad. It will hardly make it through the goal difference group than Costa Rica. The National Team for Men (USMNT) will appear on the world stage for the 11th time with the best result in a semifinal race in the opening tournament of 1930.
Without a doubt, Gregg Berhalt’s team has enough young talent to have a chance to get out of the group and get the fans excited along the way. This is because they are planning a potential deep World Cup race.
Gio Reyna is expected to play a key role in Chelsea’s Christian Pulsic, providing a creative spark between midfield and attack. The United States will be a real threat because of the 21 goals scored and the concerns of the teams.
- Current FIFA Ranking: No. 15 (March 2022)
- World Cup Appearances: 10 (Brazil 2014)
- Regional ranking: 2nd (CONCACAF)
- How qualified: (CONCACAF qualifying third place: 7W-3L-4D)
- Overall record (all competitions & friendlies):
- 2022: 3W-2L-1D (Goals: 9 scored / 5 conceded)
- 2021: 17W-2L-3D (Goals: 45 scored / 12 conceded)
- Star players: Christian Pulisic (Chelsea / England), Gio Reyna (Borussia Dortmund / Germany), Weston McKennie (Juventus / Italy)
- Coach: Gregg Berhalter (USA) since December 2018
Iran will be in the final of the third World Cup in a row later this year. At the 2022 World Cup, Dragon Socic’s team qualified for the showpiece in strong style and won eight matches, drew one, and finally lost one of the last qualifying rounds. That was enough for Iran to finish at the top of their group as they also beat South Korea, which qualified as runners-up.
It has turned Iran into a powerful offensive unit: Porto Forward, Mehdi Taremi, Feyenord’s creators Alireza Jahanbakh, Bayer Leverkusen, and Sardar Azmoun. Dragon Socic’s team netted 15 times in ten final round qualifiers before scoring ten times in a single match against Cambodia.
- Current FIFA world ranking: No. 21 (March 2022)
- World Cup appearances (last): 6 (Russia 2018)
- Regional ranking: 1st (AFC)
- How qualified: AFC Third Round Group A winners: 8W-L1-D1
- Overall record (all competitions & friendlies):2022: 3W-1L-0D (Goals: 4 scored / 2 conceded)
- 2021: 10W-0L-1D (Goals: 31 scored / 3 conceded)
- Star players: Sardar Azmoun (Bayer Leverkusen / Germany), Alireza Jahanbakhsh (Feyenoord / Netherlands), Mehdi Taremi (Porto / Portugal)
- Coach: Dragan Skocic (Croatia) since February 2020
Away from the pitch means that Wales, Ukraine, and Scotland will not qualify for the 2022 World Cup outside of these three teams. Wales will face the winners of Scotland vs. Ukraine in the final UEFA Play-off final. But due to the ongoing conflict in Ukraine, the tie has been suspended indefinitely, and it is not yet certain when it will be resolved.
They reached the first quarter-final when they wanted to qualify for the first World Cup final of the year. However, due to their relatively small race, they have punched far more than their weight in recent years. They were even able to reach the Euro 2016 semifinals before losing to eventual champions Portugal. Daniel James and Gareth will be important for any World Cup hope.
Scotland’s World Cup ambitions have been revived as they seek to be part of the first final since 1998. With an eight-match unbeaten run, the Tartan Army believe they can negotiate a tough relationship against Wales and Ukraine.
- Current FIFA world ranking: No. 27 (March 2022)
- Regional ranking: 16th (UEFA)
- World Cup appearances (last): 1 (Germany 2006)
- Overall record (all competitions & friendlies):
- 2022: 0W-0L-0D (Goals: 0 scored / 0 conceded)
- 2021: 6W-3L-9D (Goals: 25 scored / 21 conceded)
- Coach: Oleksandr Petrakov (Ukraine) since August, 2021
- Star players: Andriy Yarmolenko (West Ham / England), Oleksandr Zinchenko (Manchester City / England), Roman Yaremchuk(Benfica / Portugal)