The FIFA World Cup 2022 is just around the corner with less than a month to go, underway on 20th November in Qatar. It’s time to take a look at the Japan Potential Squad for the World Cup 2022.
The Samurai Blue took a 2-0 lead in the Round of 16 of the 2018 World Cup against Belgium. However, they couldn’t hold the lead, and their journey ended there.
The Asian giants have to overcome another daunting task this year to get out of the group stage. Japan will face Spain, Germany, and Costa Rica in Group E in the FIFA World Cup 2022.
Japan will play their World Cup opener against Germany on 23rd November before facing Costa Rica and Spain. The Japan boss Hajime Moriyasu will call a 26-man squad for the World Cup 2022.
Japan Potential Squad
- Eiji Kawashima – Strasbourg
- Shuichi Gonda – Shimizu S-Pulse
- Daniel Schmidt – Sint-Truiden
- Miki Yamane – Kawasaki Frontale
- Shogo Taniguchi – Kawasaki Frontale
- Ayumu Seko – Grasshoppers
- Yuto Nagatomo – FC Tokyo
- Takehiro Tomiyasu – Arsenal
- Hiroki Sakai – Urawa Red Diamonds
- Yuto Nakayama – Huddersfield Town
- Maya Yoshida – Schalke
- Hiroki Ito -Stuttgart
- Sho Sasaki – Sanfrecce Hiroshima
- Shinnosuke Hatanaka – Yokohama F.Marinos
- Ko Itakura -Borussia Monchengladbach
- Naomichi Ueda – Nimes
- Sei Muroya – Hannover
- Wataru Endo – Stuttgart
- Gaku Shibasaki – Leganes
- Genki Haraguchi – Union Berlin
- Hidemasa Morita – Sporting CP
- Junya Ito – Reims
- Daichi Kamada – Eintracht Frankfurt
- Ao Tanaka – Fortuna Dusseldorf
- Kaoru Mitoma – Brighton
- Ritsu Doan – Freiburg
- Reo Hatate – Celtic
- Yuki Soma – Nagoya Grampus
- Kento Hashimoto – Huesca
- Kyogo Furuhashi – Celtic
- Takumi Minamino – Monaco
- Daizen Maeda – Celtic
- Takefusa Kubo – Real Sociedad
- Ayase Ueda – Cercle Brugge
- Shuto Machina – Shonan Bellmare
- Yoshinori Muto – Vissel Kobe
5 Best Japan Players in World Cup 2022
Here we look into the top 5 Japanese players in the Japan Potential Squad who could make a huge impact in the World Cup 2022 in Qatar.
#1 K Furuhashi
The Celtic striker Kyogo Furuhashi has been in magnificent form this season for the Scottish club. He is expected to be the talisman in attack for Japan in the FIFA World Cup 2022.
The 27-year-old has scored 7 goals and an assist in 9 games this season in the Premiership.
#2 Tekefusa Kubo
Takefusa Kubo is expected to play a key role in the attack for Japan in the Qatar World Cup. The Real Sociedad striker is doing pretty good for the Spanish club, scoring 2 goals and 2 assists in La Liga so far this season. The 21-year-old could be a future star of Japan.
#3 Takumi Minamino
Next on our list is the former Liverpool player, currently playing for Monaco, Takumi Minamino. The 27-year-old winger has excellent attacking potential and could benefit Japan in the World Cup.
Minamino has scored a goal and 2 assists in 7 games (3 starts) this season in Ligue 1.
#4 Wataru Endo
Wataru Endo could be a key piece in the midfield for Japan in November. The Stuttgart midfielder has been brilliant for his club this season and is expected to do the same for his nation. The 29-year-old has also scored twice in the Bundesliga this season so far.
#5 Eiji Kawashima
Eiji Kawashima will be the go-to shot-stopper for Hajime Moriyasu for the World Cup. Japanese fans can rely on the experienced hands of the Strasbourg goalkeeper. At the age of 39, he can be crucial for Japan’s success.