The FIFA World Cup 2022 is on the horizon with less than a month to go, underway on 20th November in Qatar. In this episode, let’s take a look at the Uruguay Potential Squad for the World Cup 2022.
The Uruguayan journey ended in the quarter-finals four years ago following a 2-0 defeat to the eventual champions, France. Luis Suarez and co. will be keen to make a deeper run this year in Qatar.
Uruguay will play their World Cup opener against Korea on 24th November before facing Portugal and Ghana in Group H.
Uruguay boss Diego Alonso will call a 26-man squad for the World Cup 2022. Who will make it to Qatar alongside Luis Suarez and Darwin Nunez?
Uruguay Potential Squad
- Fernando Muslera – Galatasaray
- Sergio Rochet – Nacional
- Sebastian Sosa – Independiente
- Martin Caceres – LA Galaxy
- Matias Vina – Roma
- Ronald Araujo – Barcelona (Injured)
- Guillermo Varela – Flamengo
- Mathias Olivera – Napoli
- Damian Suarez – Getafe
- Leandro Cabrera – Espanyol
- Sebastian Caceres – Club America
- Agustin Rogel – Hertha BSC
- Jose Jimenez – Atletico Madrid
- Diego Godin – Velez Sarsfield
- Giovanni Gonzalez – Mallorca
- Sebastian Coates – Sporting CP
- Mathias Vecino – Lazio
- Rodrigo Bentancur – Tottenham
- Federico Valverde – Real Madrid
- Lucas Torreira – Galatasaray
- Giorgian de Arrascaeta – Flamengo
- Nicolás de La Cruz – River Plate
- Manuel Ugarte – Sporting CP
- Mauro Arambarri – Getafe
- Fernando Gorriaran – Santos Laguna
- Nahitan Nandez – Cagliari
- Gaston Pereiro – Cagliari
- Luis Suárez – Nacional
- Darwin Nunez – Liverpool
- Diego Rossi – Fenerbahce
- Agustin Canobbio – Atlético Paranaense
- Brian Ocampo – Cadiz
- Martin Satriano – Empoli
- Edinson Cavani – Valencia
5 Best Uruguay Players in World Cup 2022
Here we look into the top 5 Uruguayan players in the Uruguay Potential Squad who could make a huge impact in the World Cup 2022 in Qatar.
#1 Luis Suarez
At age 35, this could be Luis Suarez’s last World Cup. The former Barcelona star, currently playing for Nacional, still has a lot of firepower and could be crucial for the Uruguayan offense in the World Cup.
#2 Darwin Nunez
Next on our list is the Liverpool forward, Darwin Nunez. This could be Darwin’s world cup, as the 23-year-old has huge potential to be the star for Uruguay.
Darwin Nunez has scored 3 goals and an assist in 7 games in the Premier League this season. He has become the main man in attack beside Salah for the Reds.
#3 Federico Valverde
The Real Madrid midfielder Federico Valverde is in a magnificent touch this season. The regular starter has scored 5 goals and an assist in 10 games in La Liga, and another goal in the Champions League this season so far.
Valverde will surely play a crucial role in Uruguay’s success in the FIFA World Cup 2022.
#4 Ronald Araujo
The Barcelona youngster Ronald Araujo is recovering from a hip injury and is expected to return in mid-November.
Araujo is a work-horse defender and his dedication in a game is clearly notable. The 23-year-old is a future star for Uruguay. Finger-crossed he recovers just in time to jet off to Qatar.
#5 Edinson Cavani
We have another proven veteran on our list, Edinson Cavani. We still remember the brace from Cavani that sent Portugal home four years ago from the Round of 16. The 35-year-old is gunning for another show in Qatar.
Cavani is in good form for Valencia, scoring 3 goals and an assist in 5 matches in La Liga this season so far.